Winchester City Penguins Swimming Club (WCPSC) is a competitive swimming club, formed in 1948, providing inclusive training programmes from 'Learn to Swim' through to 'Competitive Squad Building,' all taught by friendly, qualified, professional swimming teachers and coaches. The club encourages swimmers of all ages and abilities in an environment of focused and enjoyable learning and training. We are a charity (number: 1153439), managed by a board of elected trustees.
Although based in Winchester, the club not only attracts members from the local area but also from Andover, Basingstoke, Eastleigh and Southampton. The ability of members range from those that can swim a few lengths through to those that compete at major open meets and County, Regional and National competitions.
To provide a feeder system for the club – as well as offering a much-in-demand service for the city – we run our own ‘Learn to Swim’ programme. This rapidly growing operation offers swimming lessons at both River Park Leisure Centre and Kings School, and currently caters for some 550 children under the ASA's Learn To Swim pathway.
" Swim Fast, Kick Hard, Pull Together"
- Personal development and general fitness are encouraged through specific swimming and land training programmes. The club, in line with Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD), enables members to develop their technical swimming skills and compete successfully at local, regional and national levels.
- WCPSC participates in a multi-level competitive programme providing attendance at a range of open meets, league and inter-club galas ensuring that as many members as possible can enjoy representing their club. This also ensures that as many of the competitive swimmers as possible are provided with challenges which are success orientated. This encourages an understanding of teamwork and team spirit. Through co-operation, respect and friendship we encourage pride in the success of the club as well as a keen focus on continuous self-development and personal swimming excellence. The club holds an annual in-house championship where members compete against each other and this is open to all swimming members.
- We hope to ensure that over time the profile of the club is raised and becomes the automatic first choice swimming club in the area and the top club in Mid and North Hampshire.
- However, we attach equal importance to our Learn to Swim Programme and the achievements of our younger and less experienced swimmers that make up the thriving junior section of the club.
- We aim to provide a safe, friendly teaching environment where children can learn to swim and develop their swimming skills in order to transfer to the competitive section of the club. The programme will be delivered by qualified teachers and coaches all of whom are dedicated to improving the personal development and standards of all to ensure each swimmer achieves their full potential and are provided with a sound base for their future swimming careers.
- We seek to form closer links with local schools and colleges, and to introduce as many children as possible to the fun and excitement of competitive swimming.
- Parents are encouraged to take an active part in the development and growth of their child during their stay with Penguins. We regard parental co-operation and involvement as essential at all stages of children's development.